If you are in Europe and you plan on going to another European country there are some great train possibilities, which is a more sustainable choice than taking the plane. The train can take a little longer than the plane but it is a great opportunity to catch glimpses of beautiful landscapes over the sea and the mountains.
For example when going from Switzerland to Milan, you may take advantage of the view of Lake Como or Lake Maggiore, the Italian and Swiss Alps, Lake Geneva, or Lake Lucerne in only a few hours. To save some money, you can look into getting the train tickets in advance as there are some good deals out there.
We highly recommend using public transportation and there is a large range of options; train, bus, subway, ferry etc.
Once you have reached your travel destination, opting to walk or rent a bike can truly enhance both your well-being and contribute positively to the planet. It is also cheaper than paying for taxis and public transportation.
2. Another great step in the right direction is choosing for a green hotel or hostel.
These accommodations recycle as most as possible, reduce waste, use non-toxic and biodegradable cleaning products, use renewable energy sources or simply reducing energy and are saving water. Additionally, it's crucial for us as guests to be aware of our water usage by taking shorter showers and being mindful of excessive water consumption.
3. Another great action to be more sustainable is eating locally and seasonally by supporting the local farmers.
This reduces the carbon footprint related to the food transportation and fosters sustainable practices. Local food has a lot of advantages; it is fresh, so it’s not only tastier but it also contains a higher nutritional value, it is also healthier because of the variety in fruits and vegetables you are getting in your body. Also, on an economic level it is beneficial to eat locally since it helps to build stronger communities of local farmers and businesses.
4. Trying to replace your travel-sized toiletries (shampoo, body-wash, etc..) from the store by buying refillable toiletry bottles that you can keep using in the long run.
5. Choosing for eco-friendly activities on vacation in nature is another sustainable and economically friendly approach. Depending on your travel destination, you could choose for walking, bicycling, hiking, snorkeling, visiting a local museum etc.
6. If you’re a person who likes to stay hydrated during the whole day, we recommend you to buy a reusable water bottle that can accompany you to work, to the gym, on vacation and simply everywhere to avoid the overproduction of plastic.
7. It's important to be mindful of our actions towards animals and avoid engaging in activities that exploit or harm them.
This includes refraining from feeding, riding, or taking pictures of wild animals, as well as swimming with marine animals. It's also advisable to avoid purchasing products made from animal parts, such as shark teeth. By being conscious of these practices, we can contribute to the well-being and conservation of animals.
Just a friendly reminder: your efforts, no matter how small, are already amazing and greatly appreciated by the planet. Every step you take, no matter how small, makes a difference!🌱